RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Richmond Folk Festival is back in October for its 18th birthday!
The event takes place October 7-9 and has become one of Virginia’s biggest events. The festival draws people to downtown Richmond’s riverfront to celebrate through music, dance, crafts, storytelling and food.
The three-day event is free and hosts 200,000 people throughout the weekend. The festival is presented by Venture Richmond Events and is in partnership with the National Council for Traditional Arts (NCTA), the Virginia Folklife Program, the Center for Cultural Vibrancy, the Children’s Museum and the City of Richmond.
The event comprises six stages and features music and dance from over 30 performing groups from around the world.
“We look forward to re-presenting Richmond’s ever-changing downtown waterfront for a beautiful weekend of music, dancing, food and crafts with the James River and our city’s skyline. as the perfect backdrop,” said Stephen Lecky, events director at Venture Richmond. “This event holds a special place in the hearts of so many, and 18 is shaping up to be one of the best ever.”
- Beòloach (Cape Breton)
- Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
- Black Umfolosi (imbubed a cappella singing)
- Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
- Bnat el Houariyat & Esraa Warda (Moroccan chaabi female ensemble)
- Marrakech, Morocco, and New York, New York
- Cédric Burnside (hill blues)
- Holly Springs, Mississippi
- Fran Grace (sacred steel guitar)
- Toledo, Ohio
- Korea Institute of Performing Arts Chicago (pungmul and samulnori)
- Chicago, Ill.
- Sideline (bluegrass)
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Son Rompe Pera (Mexican marimba)
- Naucalpan de Juarez, Mexico
What if I want to volunteer?
If you would like to volunteer at the Richmond Folk Festival, you can register on the event website. Volunteers receive a free t-shirt, free parking, and discounts on festival merchandise.
What are the dates and times of the Richmond Folk Festival?
- Friday, October 7 — 6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday October 8 — 12:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday October 9 — 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
More information about the festival and additional artists performing will follow. later this summeraccording to Venture Richmond.